Friday, September 5, 2008

Happy Saint's Day!


Today is my Name Day. I share this special day with my 5 year-old. We share the same middle name, and I love sharing this special day with her. In years past, we would visit our church and place flowers at St. Elizabeth's icon. (Our church has a full-figure icon of St. Elizabeth holding St. John the Forerunner). This morning, my sweet-one woke up like it was Christmas! "It's my name day!" Then as the morning went on, and school-time neared, I reminded her to put her shoes on. "But why do I have to wear school shoes?" I replied, "So you can go to school." My princess: "But it's my Name Day." I sadly realized that she has always been home for this special day, and she assumed we would be visiting church. She ended up going to school with a smile, but more often I'm questioning my decisions in my children's education.

I contemplated visiting the church without her today, but it's just too sad. So I think we're going to make a special "night visit" tonight. (I'm fortunate that our priest is also my Dad, so I can get the key from him!) In our family, on our name day, we go out to dinner and the Name Day child gets to pick the place. Tonight, it will be a local Mexican restaurant, and my daughter's Godmother is joining us. Then we'll make our special visit.

Happy Name Day to all you Elizabeths out there! May she intercede on our behalf!

2 comments:

Orthodox Education said...

Xronia Polla! Happy Nameday ~ wishing you and your daughter many blessings and always the intercessions of your Patron Saint Elizabeth, the Mother of the greatest among men, John the Baptist.
May your years of motherhood also glorify God~

Sorrell said...

Hope it ended up being a great day!